Saturday, May 28, 2016

BUDWEISER

This is not a paid endorsement. I try to burn it down but the haunted house keeps blooming back up with a disco witch smile. YOU MISSED A SPOT. Seymour, Texas. I'm twelve and not yet bleeding. My cousin has boyfriends. Prince, Madonna and Cyndi Lauper are on the radio. I'm standing in Seymour, Texas on a Saturday night smack dab in the middle of summer drinking a can of Budweiser.

"You're cool for a kid. Where do you live?"
"Monahans."
"Where's that?"
"West Texas. Middle of no damn where."
"Do you have a big sister?"
"Nah."
"Too bad. I bet if you had a big sister she'd be hot."
"Yeah, probably so."

The Brazos is my Hudson. I walk across the bridge and think of "Saturday Night Fever." Could a guy like Tony ever love a girl like me? Only if I grow up to be Stephanie. I'll need to be pretty and sassy. I'll need to know how to dance and type. I cannot grow up to be Annette. I would rather die.

No comments:

Post a Comment