Thursday, April 21, 2016

MY RELATIONSHIP WITH PRINCE

My relationship with Prince began when I heard "When Doves Cry" or "Let's Go Crazy" on the Texas radio. I was probably twelve. Last Saturday I was watching the last fifteen minutes or so of "Purple Rain" on my ex-husband's big ass television. I told my son to show reverence when Prince sang "Purple Rain" because it's one of the greatest fucking songs ever recorded. I told my son that I've owned more copies of "Purple Rain" than any other record. Motherfuckers were always stealing my "Purple Rain" cassette. I still have the cd somewhere but I do want to get "Purple Rain" on vinyl. I once said that "Flash Gordon" was my favorite film of all time and my favorite soundtrack. I fucking lied. I was probably trying to impress some comic book geek. "Purple Rain" is my favorite album and film of all fucking time. I'm just that stupid. No. I'm filthy cute and baby I know it. Here are some facts:

1. I karaoked "Darling Nikki" in San Francisco in 2013.
2. I once sorta loved a guy who had "The Beautiful Ones" on his iPod.
3. The man I loved most on this planet sorta loved me because I have the same birthday as his ex-wife. He loved that like his ex-wife I love "Purple Rain." The song. The soundtrack. The film.
4. Apollonia Kotero, as she appears in "Purple Rain," is my feminine ideal.
5. Purple was my favorite color when I was a kid.
6. My favorite color is currently turquoise.
7. If I don't inspire some semblance of the passion expressed with such musical and lyrical and spiritual eloquence by Prince in "The Beautiful Ones" in a man I really don't see the point in fucking him.

2 comments:

  1. one cannot impress a comic book geek no matter how beautiful or cartoon-inspiring we are (which we are both). i don't know what's with them, crawling up their asses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. one cannot impress a comic book geek no matter how beautiful or cartoon-inspiring we are (which we are both). i don't know what's with them, crawling up their asses.

    ReplyDelete